The Guldsmeden Hotels are not only beautifully designed.
And offer an incredible guest experience.
They are also genuine "sustainability pioneers".
And not at all outdated.
With its five hotels in Copenhagen (Denmark), one hotel in Oslo (Norway), one hotel in Reykjavík (Iceland) and even a hotel in Berlin, the family-run hotel chain proves that sustainable hotels also make total economic sense.
By the way: Two more hotels are already in the pipeline: in Aarhus (Denmark) and in Bremen - in a former Kellogg's silo.
For many years, Guldsmeden Hotels hardly talked about their commitment to sustainability.
Not because they wanted to keep their secrets to themselves.
But because they still felt that hardly anyone was interested.
Fortunately, things are different today.
I had the great pleasure of interviewing Kirsten Aggersborg - Sustainability and Communication Manager at Guldsmeden Hotels.
We met at the Urban Eco Resort Bryggen Guldsmeden and had a very interesting conversation (followed by a tour of the hotel).
I'll show you what I learned in a moment.
You will learn:
- How it pays off to do some things differently than usual in the hotel industry
- Why the first step is sometimes the most important - and can still be quite simple
- How new technologies are helping Guldsmeden Hotels immensely - and how you can use them to your advantage
- Where even true sustainability pioneers still face challenges - and what you can learn from them
- What Kirsten thinks about certifications and which certificates might also be useful for your hotel
- Why Guldsmeden Hotels are happy to share their sustainability secrets and what you can learn from them.
Here are my top 8 learnings from Kirsten and the Guldsmeden Hotels: